prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
4 6-ounce cod fillets
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
3 - 4 scallions - sliced thin
pickled ginger for serving
1. season each fillet lightly with salt and pepper. combine ginger and sesame oil in a small bowl, then rub the mixture on the fillets massaging with fingers to coat evenly.
2. place the fish in one layer in a baking dish, and tightly cover the dish with foil. let the fish marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes, or refrigerate up to 3 hours and bring to room temperature before baking.
3. heat the oven to 400 degrees. bake the fish on the top rack for 10 minutes. remove foil and check to make sure the fish is cooked through. return to oven for 1 -2 more minutes, if necessary.
4. transfer the fish to plates or serving platter. sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions and garnish with a few slices pickled ginger. serve with stir-fried spinach and steamed rice, if desired.
- new york times, november 2011