prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 6 tartlets
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup ground coffee
3/4 cup caramel topping + more for drizzling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar - sifted
1 10-ounce package frozen puff pastry shells
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup toffee bits
1. bring the cream and coffee nearly to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. reduce the heat to low, cook for 5 minutes. remove from the heat. strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl. set aside.
2. bring the caramel topping to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. reduce the heat to medium and cook for 2 more minutes. remove from the heat and stir in the butter. slowly whisk in the cream-coffee mixture until combined. pour into a large bowl and cool to room temperature. refrigerate for 45 minutes or until completely chilled.
1. place the pastry shells on an ungreased baking sheet and bake according to the package directions. transfer to a rack and cool, then pull out the center of the shells with your fingers.
2. place the chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium power, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. pour the toffee bits into a pie plate. dip the rims of the pastry shells in melted chocolate and then in the toffee. set aside.
3. beat the coffee mixture with a mixer on medium speed until thickened. slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar on high until stiff peaks form.
4. assemble the cups right before serving. spoon the coffee mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. press out the air and seal. snip off a corner, pipe the mixture into the shells. drizzle with more caramel.
- food network magazine, april 2011