prep time: 40 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
2 3/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup champagne (the sweeter the better)
6 egg whites
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter - at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons champagne - at room temperature
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2. in a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. sift flour, baking powder, and salt together and then blend into creamed mixture alternately with champagne.
3. in another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. fold 1/3 of the whites into batter to lighten it, then fold in remaining egg whites. fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
4. bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. let sit for 5 minutes then place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
1. with an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter. mix on low until well blended, and then on medium for another two minutes.
2. add vanilla and champagne, beating on medium for another minute.
3. frost cupcakes when they have cooled completely.
- the stir by cafe mom