prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup butter or shortening
vegetable oil for frying
1. in a medium bowl, stir together sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon for tossing the finished churros in. set aside.
2. in a small bowl, mix together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt and set aside.
3. heat water, pumpkin puree, vanilla and butter in a large saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil. remove from heat.
4. quickly stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon. stir over low heat until mixture becomes doughy.
5. remove from heat again and quickly stir in eggs one at a time until well incorporated. mixture should be smooth.
6. pour vegetable oil into a large pan fitted with a clip-on thermometer, with the oil coming up two inches on the side. heat oil to 350 degrees. when the oil reaches 350 degrees carefully pip dough into the hot oil with one hand and snip the dough with a pair of kitchen scissors in the other. turn the heat down to fry the churros at 325 degrees. be sure to watch the temperature in order to maintain it.
7. depending on the size of the churros, fry for about 4 - 5 minutes, flipping at least once with a fork.
8. when golden brown and done, remove the set on paper towels. pat dry and immediately toss in cinnamon and sugar. serve warm.
- bakegirl blog