prep time: tbd
cook time: 40 minutes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 cups cubed crusty bread
4 slices bacon - chopped
2 large leeks, which and light green parts only - thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic - chopped
4 cups chicken broth
2 medium russet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh parsley - chopped
1. preheat the oven to 400 degrees. melt 1 tablespoon butter, them mix with the paprika in a bowl. add the bread cubes and toss. spread on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 8 - 10 minutes. set aside.
2. meanwhile cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan.
3. add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, then add the leeks and garlic. cover and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. add the broth, 2 cups water, potatoes and salt and pepper to taste. cover and bring to a boil over high heat. reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
4. puree half the soup in a blender then return to the pot. add the cream and bring to a simmer. add the peas and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. season with salt and pepper. serve topped with the croutons, bacon and parsley.
- food network magazine, april 2011