prep time: tbd
cook time: 45 minutes
ingredients: 1 pound sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for serving
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 pound baking potatoes
1 egg - very well beaten
1 1/2 cups flour + more for rolling out
1. preheat oven to 375 degrees. mix together the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, chili, oregano and a large pinch of salt in a roasting tray and cover tightly with aluminum foil. bake until very soft, about 30 minutes.
2. meanwhile, cook the regular potatoes in boiling water with a large pinch of salt until cooked through, about 30 - 40 minutes. when cool enough to handle, peel and quarter.
3. pass the sweet potatoes and the boiled potatoes through a ricer or a food mill into a large mixing bowl. stir in the egg and a large pinch of salt. gradually add the flour, stirring first with a wooden spoon and then your hands, until a dough forms. it is essential to do this quickly, otherwise the gnocchi will become very heavy if overworked.
4. lightly dust a clean board or counter with flour. divide the dough into 6 pieces. dust each piece with flour and roll until it's about 3/4-inches in diameter. cut into 1-inch long pieces. at this point you can leave the gnocchi as is or roll them on the tines of a fork. stash the gnocchi on a flour-dusted cookie sheet as you continue rolling and cutting the rest.
5. when you're ready to eat, bring a pot of water to a boil with a large pinch of salt. cook the gnocchi, about a dozen at a time, for 4 - 5 minutes (let them cook for a minute or two after they float to the top). remove with a slotted spoon, transfer to a warm serving dish and serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, a generous grating of parmesan, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- goop, november 2009