prep time: tbd
cook time: 15 - 20 minutes
servings: 48 cookie-sized pastries
8 ounces cream cheese - at room temperature
1/2 pound unsalted butter - at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar + 9 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar - packed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup apricot preserves - heated in microwave for a few seconds to make it spreadable
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
1. cream the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy. the fluffier the lighter and flakier the final pastry will be. add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the salt, and vanilla.
2. on low speed, add the flour and mix just until ingredients come together into a dough. put the dough on a floured board and roll it into a ball. cut the ball in quarters, flatten slightly, wrap each piece in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 - 60 minutes.
3. combine 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, the brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
4. roll each ball of dough into a 9-inch circle. with a pastry brush, brush the dough with 2 tablespoons apricot preserves almost to the edges, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the filling. with a rolling pin, press the filling lightly into the dough. cut the circle into 12 equal wedges.
5. starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge, place the cookies, point side down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill for 30 minutes.
6. preheat the oven to 350 degrees. brush each cookie with egg wash. mix 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on the cookies. bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. remove to a wire rack and let cool.
- goop, september 2011