prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1/4 cup +1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion - minced
1 1/2 cup raw arborio rice
10 ounces raw mushrooms - sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine (like chardonnay)
4 to 5 cup boiling broth
1/2 cup parmesan cheese - shredded
1/2 cup swiss or gruyere cheese - shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1. melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saute or frying pan. cook the mushrooms until brown and tender. set aside.
2. melt 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet (or large pot). add the onions and saute slowly until tender, but be careful not to brown them.
3. add rice and stir gently allowing each grain to get a little toasted (this is the "tostatura" part). this should only take about 10 minutes.
4. after the rice is sufficiently toasted, add the mushrooms and stir gently for a couple minutes.
5. add salt and pepper to taste, then add the wine.
6. stir for a minute or two then add the broth, one ladle at a time, until the rice is tender and the liquid is fully absorbed. it should take about 25 minutes for the rice to fully cook to al dente and you should stir gently this entire time (this is where patience comes in!). note - you may not need the full 5 cups of broth but have it warm and ready, just in case.
7. when rice is fully cooked, remove from heat and gently stir in the cheeses.
- big mario blog