prep time: 50 minutes
inactive prep time: 2 hours
cook time: 15 minutes
4 new potatoes
1 large portobello mushroom cap
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 tablespoon minced garlic
4 thick, woody, rosemary branches or 4 soaked, 12-inch bamboo skewers
1. place the potatoes in a small 1-quart saucepan and cover with water, by 1-inch. set over high heat and bring to a boil. cook the potatoes at a boil for 10 minutes, or until barely fork-tender. remove from the water and allow to cool before cutting half. set the potatoes aside until ready to use.
2. remove the stem and the gills from the portobello with a sharp knife and cut into 8 wedges. place the wedges in a medium bowl.
3. cut the steak into 8 even pieces, about 1 3/4 - 2-ounces each, and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt and the black pepper. place in the bowl with the mushrooms. add the vegetable oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary and garlic to the bowl and stir to coat the mushrooms and steak well. wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate for up to 2 hours.
4. remove from the refrigerator and skewer a potato on the rosemary branch, followed by a piece of steak, a mushroom wedge, followed by another piece of potato, steak and mushroom. continue in the same manner with the remaining skewers and potatoes, pieces of steak, and mushroom pieces. reserve any marinade remaining in the bowl for basting the skewers as they cook.
5. heat a grill to medium-high and lightly oil the grill grates. grill the kebabs, basting with the remaining marinade as they cook, for about 3 minutes. turn and cook for another 3 minutes, basting, before turning over to cook on the first side again. continue to cook on the first side for another 2 - 3 minutes before turning over and cooking a final 2 - 3 minutes. season the kebabs with the remaining teaspoon of salt.
- food network