prep time: tbd
inactive time: 1 hour
cook time: 10 - 12 minutes
cream cheese icing ingredients:
1/2 cup butter - softened to room temperature
1 8-ounce package cream cheese - softened to room temperature
1 1-pound box of confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
red velvet sandwich cookies ingredients:
1 box duncan hines red velvet cake mix
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
cream cheese icing steps:
1. mix the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together in a large bowl. add all of the confectioner's sugar gradually while mixing.
red velvet sandwich cookies steps:
1. melt butter, set aside to cool. place cake mix, egg, cooled butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. mix by hand until well blended and dough is formed.
2. form dough into a smooth 12-inch log on wax paper or parchment making sure it is even in thickness end to end. wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
3. preheat your oven to 350 degrees. lightly grease the baking sheets. unwrap the dough log and set it on wax paper. using a sharp knife, cut the log into slices about 1/4-inch thick. place on cool baking sheets about 2-inches apart.
4. bake, 1 sheet at a time, in center of oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until set. cool for 1 minute and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. spread the cream cheese frosting on the cookie and top each frosted cookie with another cookie. gently press together and roll in sprinkles.